Mindanao peace and
security in upswing due to peace process, says Gen. Pangilinan
COTABATO CITY, July 6 -- The peace process and the signed Comprehensive
Agreement on the Bangsamoro between the government and the Moro Islamic
Liberation Front (Moro forces) continues to positively impact the peace and
order in Bangsamoro communities, Brigadier General Edmundo Pangilinan, Army
Commander of the 6th Infantry Division (ID) based in Cotabato City, a Peace
Process Media Bureau said.
In an email press statement by the Peace Process Media Bureau, it said that
according to Pangilinan, since 2012 when the peace negotiations were in full
swing, they have not recorded any encounters between government troops and
Moro forces forces.
“Mula noong magkaroon tayo ng tuloy-tuloy na kasunduan three years na
actually, for three years, hindi tayo naka-experience ng labanan between the
Moro forces and the government forces,” Pangilinan said in a statement.
He added: “Kaya kung tatanungin ako kung may maitutulong ba ang BBL
(Bangsamoro Basic Law)? Yes, definitely talaga dahil nakita naman natin
iyong improvement sa peace and security condition dito sa area natin.”
He said that because of the continuing peace process between the government
and the Moro forces forces, the peace and security condition in central
Mindanao area has been “relatively peaceful.”
“This provides an opportunity for the Army troops to divert their forces and
assist in rescue operations particularly in areas affected by calamity,” he
added. Sultan Sa Barongis, a town in the province of Maguindanao has been
placed under a state of calamity this week due to flooding.
He said the two parties must have realized the benefits of the initial peace
talks because they later on signed the Comprehensive Agreement on the
Bangsamoro (CAB) in March 27, 2015.
At the same time, Pangilinan expressed hope that the ongoing ceasefire
between government and Moro forces troops could become permanent.
“Sa lahat ng ating mga kababayan, mga kapatid na nagdiriwang ng holy month
ng Ramadhan I pray that we continuously be showered with God’s blessings.
And as we pray sana ang kapayapaan at katahimikan na ating kasalukuyang
tinatamasa at nararamdaman sa ngayon ay magpatuloy. Alam ko na sa tulong ni
Allah, sa tulong ng Panginoon ang lahat ng ating mga adhikain at naisin sa
buhay matutupad,” Pangilinan said.
So far, the Mamasapano encounter between the Philippine National Police
Special Action Forces and armed groups that include the Moro forces is the
only break in the ceasefire. Until now, no reported skirmish has been
recorded between the AFP and Moro forces.