Indonesian bomb expert among those killed in Sultan Kudarat clash
CAMP SIONGCO, Maguindanao, Nov. 28 (PNA) -- Military officials here on
Saturday confirmed that one of the eight fatalities in Sultan Kudarat clash
Thursday dawn was an Indonesian national who is said to be a bomb making
Major Gen. Edmundo Pangilinan, 6th Infantry Division commander, identified
the Indonesian as Ibrahim Ali, alias Hudzaifa who was arrested for gun
possession but was eventually freed.
He was senior member of the Mujahideen Indonesian Timur (MIT) and has been
training lawless elements in Palimbang, Sultan Kudarat on bomb making.
Brig. Gen. Emmanuel Salamat, 1st Marine Brigade commander, said Ali was
killed in a clash with 6th Marine Battalion Landing Team Thursday in
Barangay Butril, Palimbang, Sultan Kudarat in a 5:30 a.m. encounter which
lasted for about four hours.
According to Salamat, the Marine forces and members of the PNP Criminal
Investigation and Detection Group and local police were to serve warrants of
arrest for Mohammad Jaafar Sabiwang Maguid alias Commander Tokboy in Sitio
Sinapingan, Barangay Butril, Palimbang, Sultan Kudarat.
While approaching the village, the armed men led by Commander Tokboy opened
fire on the government forces, triggering a running gun battle.
After the encounter, eight dead bodies were found scattered in the lawless
elements encampment, including the Indonesian national but Commander Tokboy
was not among them. He was believed to have fled at the height of the fire
At a news conference Friday, Pangilinan said that the Indonesian national
was first arrested in Zamboanga City for illegal possession of firearms in
2005 but was released from detention in 2013 due to lack of merit of the
case filed against him.
He said Ibrahim Ali had since been monitored to be with Commander Tokboy
after his release, teaching bomb making.
Pangilinan identified the other fatalities as Abdul Halil, Tatuh Sumail and
Kira Sabiwang, all resident of Palimbang, Sultan Kudarat.
Marine forces recovered one cal. 50 sniper rifle, 20 rounds of ammunition
for cal. 50, an M-16 Armalite rifle, a cal. 45 pistol, bomb making
materials, ATM cards, Philhealth cards and six ISIS flags.
Pangilinan said Commander Tokboy has four standing warrants of arrest and
was involved in a series of atrocities and violence in the South Cotabato
area since August 2008.
He was previously apprehended in 2009 by the security forces at Maasim,
Sarangani Province. However, he managed to escape from Bulantay Jail,
Alabel, Sarangani after seven months of imprisonment. He had been a fugitive
for half a decade and was engaged in various crimes that included cattle
rustling, extortion, highway robbery and murders.
Salamat said about 50 families have fled the village of Butril but the local
governments and the Philippines Marines are attending to their needs. (PNA)